Monday, October 14, 2013

What's in a Name? October 14, 2013.

Hello Everyone!

I am trying to bring some more life back into my BLOG.  I appreciate all of you who keep following me. I also apologize for being absent from Social Media for so long. I didn't fall off the face of the planet. I got married. My husband and I did most of the planning and decorating for our wedding. We didn't realize how much work and planning and time can go into one day! Then, that one day is here and gone.

I am happy to announce that I am now Mrs. Bryant Wilson which brings me to our discussion today: What's in a Name?

At home, when I write checks, and for many other things I will be known as Samantha Wilson. However, in the Art Industry, my professional name will stand as Samantha Fried. The reason I will be professionally known as Samantha Fried should not be too much of a shocker.

In case if it is, here is why I have essentially 2 names.

First off, I love my husband and I wanted to share his name. But, I can't go switching my name in the Fine Art World. I have been honored to showcase in a couple Museums, and Juried Shows throughout the past couple years. I am also represented by 2 galleries: Bright's Gallery of Fine ARt in Ontario and The Frame Gallery in Agoura Hills, CA. I could go on, but, I'm not one to toot my horn. I am just making a point, people know me as Samantha Fried. I have been working hard to have people recognize my name and art. If I change my professional name, I could have a minor set-back with my artistic career.

It is true that eventually I can let everyone know that my name has changed and not my accomplishments or style, but, for me, it's easier to stick with Samantha Fried. Essentially, I am trying to brand my Art and I can make my art successful by sticking to name that everyone is familiar with.

Now, this is only my personal choice. Each artist can do whatever he/she pleases. I know another artist that didn't even change her name when she got married because too many people knew her art by her original name. It's an interesting matter to discuss. Feel free to pipe in! Otherwise, I could probably go on about this for an extremely long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment