Wednesday, January 15, 2014

January 15, 2014. How to stay positive.

Hello Fello Artists, Art Lovers, and Friends,

The biggest thing any artist has to overcome is their own self-doubt. It is very easy to go down that "rabbit hole," and sometimes very hard to get out.

I have a fear of the unknown and sometimes it turns into self-doubt.  While I am an extremely positive person, it is easy to be unsure of the future and concerned. Not all artists are sensitive people, I can be. It's just who I am.

So, let me explain how I can turn things around. If I stay on the fear and uncertainty, it eventually feels like I'm stuck in quicksand.  When I've seen movies/shows where there is someone in quicksand they reach out for something to grab, asking for help from the people near them.

My number one rule is not to be afraid to talk to someone about your fears, you have people that care about you and will listen to your worries like you will listen to theirs. Whether it be about your painting, shows, teaching jobs, money issues, etc. you have to be able to open up. I find keeping these feelings bottled up just makes things worse in the end.


  1. Talk to someone, it helps hearing an outside perspective from your own thoughts
  2. Remember something that you're proud of accomplishing
  3. Make a few new goals (even if it's to be not so hard on yourself)
  4. Remember that you get to do what you love. 
  5. Try to stop living in the future because it will only be a mystery. 
  6. Stop worrying about things in the past that have brought you down because it's already history.
  7. START focusing on today, now because the present is a GIFT. 
I know many people who cannot focus on the NOW, including myself. This is just a reminder that you can do it and you're not the only one who flounders every now and then.

THANKS for listening, I had a rough morning and got myself out of it.  I hope I can help you out as well.

BEST,
SAMANTHA FRIED :)

No comments:

Post a Comment